Kenya Transit Visa
A transit visa is for travelers who have a layover in Kenya while traveling to another destination. This transit period is usually of less than 3 days – 72 hours. If the travelers hold a transit visa, they can leave the airport and travel Kenya for 3 days. The best way to plan a transit visa is by applying for it while getting a connecting flight through Kenya. Travelers need to fill out a Kenya visa application form. This is a great way to make the most of the waiting time in the popular African country.
Kenya Transit visa provides an opportunity to see the local cultures and natural beauty of Kenya before heading on to the final destination. These hotspots for tourists are located near airports so the visitors never wander away from catching their flight on time. There are ten dedicated airports all over the country from where all flights are easily accessible.
Note: all travelers will only be allowed to leave the airport in between flights with a valid transit visa. The stay cannot exceed the 72 hours. If the traveler does not get the transit visa, they need to stay at the airport and will not be allowed to leave.
Transit Visa Requirements
All applicants wishing to apply for the Kenya Transit Visa must meet a few Kenya visa requirements in order to become eligible. These are:
- Total number of hours spent in Kenya should not exceed 72 hours. If the visitor wishes to stay longer, he or she can apply for the Kenya Tourist eVisa that allows travelers to stay for up to 90 days.
- A few documents will be required from the applicant to get the transit visa approved. The passport will be required that should have a validity of at least 6 months. The onward air ticket or the return ticket will also be required from the applicant. Additionally, the applicant will need to submit a recent passport sized photograph.
- All applicants applying for the transit visa will have to pay the Kenya visa fee.
Photograph Requirements for the Kenya Transit Visa
When the applicants submit the passport size photograph, it must meet the following criteria:
- The picture should have been taken within the last 6 months.
- The picture should be colored and not black and white.
- The face of the applicant should be visible in full from the front.
- The background must be plain white or off-white.
- The head should not be covered with any headgear or accessories except for religious purposes
Visa Requirement to Transit Through Kenya
All international travelers who are travelling through Kenya to another destination will need a transit visa if they wish to leave the airport during the layover. If their layover is short and they do not wish to leave, they are not required a transit visa. A transit visa can only be obtained if the travelers wish to stay for no more than 3 days – 72 hours in Kenya. If the travelers wish to stay longer than 3 days, they will need to apply for the tourist visa in which, they will allowed to stay for up to 90 days.
Kenya International Airports
Passengers travelling from other countries can land into the following international airports of Kenya:
- Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi.
- Moi Internatinal Airport in Mombassa.
- Most international flights land and transit through the Jomo Kenyatta International airport. This is located in Nairobi near the Embakasi suburbs. The airport has flights to more than 50 countries so transit flights are likely to land here.
- Visitors holding a valid transit visa can leave the airport and travel Kenya. It is recommended to hire a car to see maximum number of places in the short 72 hours stay. The roads are infrastructure of this part of Kenya is very good.
- Several hotels are located nearby to accommodate travelers with a short stay. It is recommended to book a room in advance.
Kenya Transit eVisa Sample
Please Note:The information on your Kenya Transit eVisa must match the information on your valid travel document completely; otherwise, your e-Visa will be invalid. In this regard, you must create and complete a new application
For countries that are not eligible for an Kenya eVisa, they must obtain a Transit Visa through an embassy in their home country or upon international arrival.