Kenya Visa Requirements
Kenya e-Visa launched in 2015, the Kenya's Ministry of Interior launched a new system to help eligible nationals obtain travel authorization by applying online. It aims to bring convenience to travelers who need a visa to enter Kenya. The current process is hassle-free, and it will only take 5-10 minutes to complete the Kenya visa application online. Rushing and hustling for embassy appointments are no longer necessary.
Kenya issues a range of visas to travellers, broadly tourism, business, medical, family visits, and courtesy visas. Getting a Kenyan visa is a swift and easy process. Each visa type has a different validity, fee package and document requirements. The nationals of the countries that require a visa to enter Kenya must apply for any visa from the following types:
Issued for any visa type to persons whose nationalities require a visa to enter Kenya either for business, tourism, medical or other reasons. During the application process, you will be required following requirements:
- Travelers, including minors and children, must possess a valid passport with at least 2 blank pages.
- The passport must stay valid for at least 6 months from the date of arrival in the Republic of Kenya.
- With an online visa Kenya, travelers can enter the country from one of the 10 designated airports, 10 seaports, and 11 border crossings.
- At the time of applying, you must enter the date of arrival in the country and departure.Moreover, you need to provide booking confirmation for at least one night stay in Kenya.
- While applying, you need to provide a travel schedule or itinerary and return flight booking confirmation. Additionally, you must provide an overnight stay booking confirmation or invitation letter from your host in Kenya or a Kenyan organization.
Kenya Visa Documents Requirements
General Documents for all visa types, you must have the following documents:
Additional documents are required to process your application depending on the type of visa:
For Transit Visa
For Family Visits:
For Meetings / Workshop / Seminars / Training / Retreat:
For Kenya Courtesy Visa:
- A valid travel document or a passport, having an expiry of more than six months.
- A service, official, or diplomatic passport
- An official letter from the country of origin or organization or foreign affairs showing the purpose of the visit.
- A Round Trip ticket
If you are transiting through Kenya to any third country, you must possess a Boarding Pass. Kenyan Visa regulations apply to the foreigners visiting the country, whether for official business reasons or transit if they fall under Category 3 of the Visa regime or Regulations.
You need to submit the following documents with your visa application.
The allowed formats are PDF, JPG, or Microsoft word.
Guideline for Photographs Requirements
- Photographs must not be older than six months. It must showcase your present facial features and skin tone.
- Your full-frontal face must be visible on the coloured photograph
- The background should be white or off- white. No textures or designs in the background.
- You should wear a regular dress for the photograph. Wearing uniforms is not allowed
- Any religious attire that is part of your daily routine could be wore
- Wearing a hat or headgear is not permissible if your hairline is not visible in the picture
- You should wear a hearing aid, prescriptions glasses, wig, or any similar article if you wear it in your daily routine.
- Glasses with a darker shade or that are non-prescribed with tilted lenses are not allowed to wear unless you have a medical reason. You may require to show your medical certificate.
- Take a clear picture of yourself. Taking a photo of the photo in your passport or scanning it is not allowed.
List of Eligible Countries for Kenya eVisa:
Kenya Visa Information
Kenya Tourist Visa
Tourist visa Kenya is a single-entry visa issued to travelers from countries that the government of Kenya hasn't categorized as visa-free. If the purpose of your visit is recreation or tourism, you'll need to apply for a tourist visa. With a tourist visa in Kenya, you can stay for a maximum duration of 90 days. The visa will be valid for 90 days as well. However, you can renew your Kenya tourist visa once you are in the country. This visa can be renewed for a maximum stay of six months.
Kenya Business Visa
Business visa Kenya is issued to foreign nationals who intend to do business in Kenya. It is only issued for the purpose of doing business and will be valid for 90days. With a Kenyan business visa, you can stay in the country for up to 90 days.
Kenya Transit Visa:
If you need to transit through Kenya to enter any other country, you require a Transit Visa.
- A Transit Visa does not support a stay longer than 72 hours in Kenya.
You do not need to apply for a Transit visa if you are connecting flights through Kenya without leaving the airport.
If you need to apply for a Kenya visa, Please do make sure that you meet the following requirements before applying for the e visa.
When planning your trip to Kenya, it is important to be aware of the current COVID-19 guidelines and health restrictions. As of now, there are certain measures in place to ensure the safety of both residents and visitors.
Here's what you need to know:
- Quarantine: There is no mandatory quarantine requirement for travelers entering Kenya at the moment. You can proceed with your travel plans without having to isolate upon arrival.
- COVID-19 Test: It is not currently mandatory to present a negative COVID-19 test result when entering Kenya. However, please note that this information is subject to change, and it is always advisable to stay updated with the latest guidelines before your departure.
- Health Insurance: Although not required, it is strongly recommended that you have comprehensive health insurance coverage when traveling to Kenya. This will ensure that you are prepared for any unforeseen medical expenses or emergencies during your stay.
- Unvaccinated Travelers: At present, there are no specific requirements or restrictions for unvaccinated travelers entering Kenya. However, it is crucial to follow any local health protocols, such as wearing masks, practicing social distancing, and maintaining good hygiene practices to minimize the risk of COVID-19 transmission.
To ensure a smooth and safe journey, it is recommended to regularly check for updates.
This notice is issued with effect from monday 8th march 2021.
Passengers coming from the following states and territories must undergo mandatory quarantine for 14 days upon arrival into Kenya at their own cost:
1. Brunei 2. Czech Republic 3. Kuwait 4. Spain 5. Thailand
- Possession of a negative PCR-based Covid-19 test result conducted within 96 hours prior to the visit and displaying no flu-like symptoms upon arrival.
- Provide proof of their booking for quarantine places for 24 hours before boarding. The list of facilities available for quarantine can be obtained from [email protected]
The following conditions shall apply to travellers from the United Kingdom from midnight 9th april 2021.
- Going forward, all travelers coming to Kenya from the United Kingdom must have a valid COVID-19 Vaccination Certificate and COVID-19 Negative PCR test and must differentiate themselves upon arrival for a period of seven days.
- All UK citizens and residents from the UK to Kenya, regardless of their route of travel to Kenya and who do not have a valid COVID-19 vaccination certificate, but who are required to have a valid COVID-19 negative PCR test certificate Will be subject Compulsory quarantine at its cost for government facility for 14 days.
- Kenyan citizens only require a certificate of COVID-19 negative PCR test to travel.
- All passengers under the age of 18 will only need a certificate of COVID-19 negative PCR test to enter Kenya.
Travellers from the following approved states and territories will be exempt from quarantine.
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Bonaire, Saint Eustatius and Saba
- British Virgin Islands
- Brunei Darussalam
- Cayman Islands
- Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
- Falkland Islands (Malvinas)
- Faroe Islands
- France Polynesia
- Holy See
- Isle of Man
- Laos People's Democratic Republic
- New Calendonia
- New Zealand
- North Macedonia
- Papua New Guinea
- Russia Federation
- Saint Barthelemy
- Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Saint Lucia
- Saint Martin
- Saint Pierre and Miquelon
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- South Korea
- Sri Lanka
- The United States of America (except for California, Florida and Texas)
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Truks and Caicos Islands
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom
Foreign passports should be valid for 6 months after arrival in Kenya and with two remaining blank visa pages.